Hi guys! How are you? Since we’ve already established that I’m really bad at predicting 5 star reads, I thought it would be fun to make my mom have a go at it. After all she’s bought me most of my books for most of my life and lots of my favorite reads have actually been her picks. She practically forced me to read Daughter of Smoke and Bone and now Laini Taylor’s my favorite author. I think it’s safe to say she knows my taste pretty well. So I asked her to have a look through my shelves and pick 5 books she thinks will be 5 star reads for me and these are her picks:
East by Edith Pattou
- Where’s the book with the polar bear on it? I want that one.
- It’s a retelling of your favorite fairytale.
- It’s got a polar bear on it.
- Remember that statue at the zoo you were obsessed with of a princess riding a polar bear? (I do. I loved it. It’s hideous)
- Also, I bought this for you!
Blanca & Roja by Anna-Marie McLemore
- Is she the one who wrote that beautiful book you have, with all the lovely flowers on it, Wild Beauty? (She is)
- It’s a lesser known fairytale retelling, you love that.
- It’s very beautifully written.
- I know it doesn’t matter, but I like that there’s swans in it. (Same, tbh)
The Light Between Worlds by Laura E. Weymouth
- This is very pretty.
- I didn’t think you read WWII books? (Neither did I)
- It sounds a lot like Narnia.
- You like reading about magical worlds.
- Oh and there’s talking animals.
If They Come for Us by Fatimah Asghar
- Another beautiful cover!
- I think this will be a very powerful read.
- It mentions Kashmir, you’re interested in that. We watched that documentary. (True)
- You almost never buy poetry, so you must really want to read this.
(This is my mom’s favorite meme guys)
The Wicker King by K. Ancrum
- You have a thing for first sentences and this one’s interesting:
- “They were thirteen the first time they broke into the toy factory”
- I think it’s set in the 90’s/00’s
- It seems very creative, with photos, flyers and playlists inside.
- I don’t think you’ve read anything like it before. (I don’t either)
So those are my mom’s picks and honestly, I have a better feeling about this than I did about my own picks. I already know I love Anna-Marie McLemore’s writing and I’m super excited about all the others as well. Thanks you so much for the help, momma! (My mom’s my most loyal blog reader and spellchecker, lol)